WELCOME TO MY BLOG





By Grant Falk

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Waiting for a Bone Marrow Match - October 29, 2007

Today I find that my mom, dad or brother are not a match for my bone marrow. Now I wait for a match from the bone marrow bank. I'm still in the hospital from my first chemo. They said I'd be able to go home for a few days after about a month. It's only been 18 days so far, but it feels like a lot longer. It will take 1-3 months for a bone marrow transplant, I dont' really know for sure. Everyone says a different thing. I just have to go with the flow because I dont' get a say in anything.

While I'm waiting, I have to do these one month chemos. It's no fun that is for sure. The actual chemo takes about a week and it makes me sick. I take lots of medicine to help with the sick feeling, but it makes me very tired. Once that's over I feel ok. I'm feeling pretty good right now but they tell me I have "no counts." This means I have no ANC (Absolute Nutrafil Count) or white blood cells in my blood. As soon as my counts go over 200 I can go home for a few days. I hope that means more than 2 days, but I bet it doesn't mean a week. I want to see all my friends while I'm at home.

I guess I can't go to school for a long time. I don't really want to miss that much school. I was just starting to feel like I was caught up from the last time and now I am behind again. My mom says we will try to get some work, but I'm not really sure that is going to work.

Leave a note if you read this. I'm just getting use to this blog

1 comment:

Uncle Erik said...

Good job Grant you are doing an awesome job being positive, and working through the steps to get well. How about those nurses