WELCOME TO MY BLOG





By Grant Falk

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Home is much better than the hospital!

That's the understatement of the year!! We've had a good weekend. Gone to the movies, Games Workshop (at the mall to paint little Lord of the Ring guys), out to dinner at Red Robin, and sleeping in. We did have appt's today, downtown at SCCA. Blood checked....blah, blah, blah! Grant does have a few symptoms of Graft vs Host Disease (gvhd). He's been throwing up. So, he has to get an endoscopy soon. That should be no big deal, he's had 2 already. They put him to sleep and it's done in the clinic at Children's. We're used to getting one more thing! Hopefully, this'll be it. I'm not sure I can take "one" more thing.
I don't think I mentioned before that the ultrasound of his legs a week or so ago, showed some signs of blood flow in the main arteries. The clots are still there, but are diminishing. Do you think they can get absorbed by his body at this late date??? Of course, that would be ideal, and probably not realistic, but.........what do the dr's know anyway? They haven't been right so far, so....I remain hopeful. Grant marches to his own drum, so his body will decide.
So far Grant improves daily. He gets around the house without help. Going up the stairs at bedtime are still difficult, but he hasn't been taking any naps lately, so he gets pretty tired at night. We're still doing the magnesium infusions nightly, but we are hoping to get him to pills soon, so he can get that central line taken out. While that's there we always have to worry about infection.
School is approaching. Yikes! I think I will be contacting the Fred Hutch School again for Grant. He can't go back to public school again until after 300 days, which is in December. He really wants to go to school, and is looking forward to high school. He practically missed all of middle school, so it'll be tough for him.
I'm procrastinating, so I better get back to work. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grant, Kim, Matt, and Cole!

Oh this is such wonderful news! Thank you for taking time to keep us posted, Kim - I know so many of us check this blog to see how things are going for Grant and you all.

And, Yes! - those clots can continue to diminish - we've see such miracles working within Grant's body and strong spirit and determination! What an amazing kiddo you all have raised! And now, he WANTS to go to school! Music to his 'ol teacher's ears!

Keep up the hard work and Yes Attitude, Grant! We're all cheering you on and we'll continue to do that "WAVE" for you!

Love, Mrs. Perry :-)

Roidh Manus said...

Hi Grant and family,

My name is Jenny and I'm a member of Team in Training for this fall/winter. I'm going to be walking/running the half-marathon in Arizona on January 18.

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm so glad you're home and I'm sending you prayers and good energy.

I am 36, married, with a dog and a cat. I live in Everett and I work in Community Relations for Sno-Isle Libraries. This is the first time I'll do a long run. I've always believed in living life to the fullest, but I haven't always done that. Participating in Team in Training is part of my effort to start seizing life again. You are already an inspiration to me, Grant, and I hope to meet you at a practice!

Your dog is totally cute. You can see a picture of my dog on my fundraising page. His name is Manny. http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/pfchangs09/jegner

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hurray! Keep plugging away, Grant. Day 300 will be here! It's just around the corner. You have a enough time to reduce those clots and build up more collateral circulation and get stronger. High school awaits!

Lisa F-R