WELCOME TO MY BLOG





By Grant Falk

Saturday, June 7, 2008

On my way out of ICU..........Good news for a change!

Yes, it's true, they are going to let Grant out of ICU today......as long as there is room on the "floor" (That's what everyone here calls the cancer ward or the SCCA on the 3rd floor)
This past week has shown how strong Grant really is. He opened his eyes about 6 days ago. They weren't very clear & very puffy the first day, but now they are very clear & he's obviously in there. He is starting to talk, but still very weakly. It's taking a while to get the words out, but, oh was I happy to hear some words!! His first words were "I'm thirsty".
He started Physical Therapy last week, and every day he improves. Jeanine & I did the physical therapy today ourselves (as they aren't there on the weekends), and Grant actually got his legs over the side of the bed all by himself. He got his arms over his head as well.
It's not going to be a fast recovery, but I do believe he will recover. I must admit that the week before, I wasn't so sure.
We are well past our 100 days after transplant. We, too, thought we would be over the hump by now. Who would have ever expected all of this to happen on top of the cancer stuff? It hardly seems fair sometimes, but the alternative is not an option, and we will all fight to keep Grant alive & well.
To all our Team in Training folks, you are awesome!! Thanks for continuing to help us out & keep Grant in your prayers. All the food, the cleaning, the presents.........everything! I know some of you have already run your marathon last week in San Diego, and I can't say how proud I am of all of you! You all do these marathons, and raising money for the cure, out of the goodness of your hearts & my hat is off to you all!! Good luck to those who are running in 2 weeks! I hope Grant can someday do the same thing you are doing. If my knee wasn't so bad, I would consider it myself! We will be there next year cheering you on!!
So............... here's to another week of recovery. Thank you ALL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray! That's excellent news. Keep up the good work. All the repetition and hard work will pay off. Rehab can be slow (Grant, I've worked in Rehab for 25 years), but it sounds like you're progressing really well. As always, we're pulling for you!

Lisa Farrell-Roberts & family

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!!

This is awesome news, KIm!

Go TEAM!

:) Amy

Anonymous said...

WAHOO!! Oh man was I happy to read this latest journal entry, Kim! Thank you for keeping us updated and we will continue to pray for a strong recovery. I know Grant will be running with that team one day. So, keep those rehab reps going and those eyes clear, Grant! You are amazing and we look forward to all that's ahead for you and your family.
Love, Mrs. Perry :-)

Anonymous said...

well from the gang and i we miss having you at school and we miss the having fun at school cuz your not there and every time mrs. Case reads to us on how you're doing seth and i start thinking on how or what we can do for you and some of the time we just cant work cuz we are thinking of you the whole time. well tomorrow we have a s.s final and i have no idea how well im going to do cuz i will think of you and how well you are doing.


well from the gang at school WE MISS YOU GRANT!!!!!!!!!!!